Stealth Adaptive Signature management for the Infra-Red Spectrum
Sub Title : All that cannot be seen, cannot be destroyed.
Issues Details : Vol 14 Issue 4 Sep – Oct 2020
Author : Defstrat Team
Page No. : 52
Category : Military Technology
: October 2, 2020
Stealth technology is passive and active electronic countermeasures used to make personnel, aircraft, ships, submarines, missiles, satellites, and ground vehicles less visible (ideally invisible) to radar, infrared, sonar and other detection methods. It corresponds to military camouflage in the electromagnetic spectrum. Management of Infra-Red Signatures is a big challenge and requires contemporary adaptive technologies to achieve.
Stealth technology covers a range of methods used to make soldiers, vehicles, aircraft, ships etc less visible/invisible to radar, infrared, sonar and other detection methods; simply stated, it is military camouflage in the electromagnetic spectrum.
Infrared Signature is the appearance of objects to infrared sensors. An infrared signature depends on many factors, including:
- The shape and size of the object, temperature, and emissivity.
- Reflection of external heat and light sources from the object’s surface.
- The background against which it is viewed.
- The waveband of the detecting sensor.
Consequently, the infrared signature of a target viewed against a field will vary significantly with changing weather, time of day and engine loadzing.
Infrared Stealth aims at reducing infrared signatures thereby decreasing a platform’s susceptibility to infrared guided weapons and infrared surveillance sensors, increasing survivability.
It has been developed after intense in-house Research & Development of five years. HSTPL specialises in Research, Development, and Production of Adaptive stealth/anti-thermal coatings, Radar Absorbing Paints and other Stealth/Camouflage Products. The adaptiveness of their products make them flexible in deployment in different terrain conditions and extremely user friendly. They ensure Production and Quality Assurance compliance of Military Standards.
“All that cannot be seen, cannot be destroyed”: Making Military Armored Vehicles/Tanks/Soldier/Military Installation invisible with a cloaking device, which can mask the vehicle’s infrared signature from enemy eyes in the Battlefield with HSTPL’s “SASMT”.
SASMT is dynamic in nature and can change its own NIR, MWIR & LWIR signatures as per surroundings. NIR cameras are typically low-light (night vision) devices, while MWIR and LWIR cameras accomplish their tasks via thermal imaging.
SASMTs Adaptive Technology makes the target near invisible from effective distance/ranges.
How SASMT Works
Currently available camouflage products like Adaptive Mobile Camouflage System, Anti-Thermal Coatings etc. provide only static camouflage properties, thus making them effective only under controlled/limited environmental conditions. SASMT is an advanced and unique functional coating. It is intelligent in functions against latest surveillance sensors. It self-balances its own Infrared signature which blends with the surroundings allowing the vehicle to blend into its surroundings, making it invisible to hostile thermal imaging systems.
SASMT provides Infrared Signature Management in static as well as mobile conditions making it difficult to be detected.
SASMT Coatings: Shield Against Auto Guided Weapons
Several types of missiles, including cruise types, are equipped with infrared homing seekers and tracking devices. Passive homing missiles rely on strong contrast changes to track. Anti-thermal coatings can render them unable to ‘lock on’. HSTPL has developed a unique and unmatched technology of Adaptive/Self Balancing anti-thermal coatings for wide use to protect strategic infrastructures from missile threats, enemy weapon systems, effectively, affordably and reliably.
Apply Protect & Forget
HSTPL’s series of Adaptive anti-thermal/IR coatings protect the target from the modern thermo graphic IR sensors, confusing their image processing capabilities by merging the target with the surroundings. It can be applied on any surface including metallic, alkaline/cement and plastic. It is a permanent countermeasure, suitable for command centres, headquarters, bunkers, oil tanks, airstrips and of course armoured or tracked vehicles, multiple launchers, howitzers and weapon systems.
Advantages of SASMT
- Dramatically increases survivability levels of valuable assets, strategic sites and personnel acting as a “Force Multiplier”.
- It is a simple, effective and affordable solution.
- Does not require any kind of power supply
- Not available in other countries. Only a few developed countries like USA, UK, and China may have technology like this.
- Made in India, customizable as per user requirement since Intellectual Property is with HSTPL
- Less expensive compared to any imported technology/products, if available.
Other Hstpl Products
Beyond strategic applications, HSTPL provides its stealth technologies/solutions in the form of a variety of products, customized as per user requirements:
- Multi Spectral Camouflage Nets: Ultra-light protection for any kind of military vehicle or weapon system against UV, VIS, NIR, MWIR, LWIR & Radars.
- Adaptive Camouflage Coatings: Dynamic protection against latest NIR, MWIR & Thermal Sensors
- Radar Absorbing Paint: Very less thickness with high absorption in 4 GHz-18 GHz EM Spectrum
- Self-adhesive (decal) and stealth camouflage system: Adaptive Thermal and Visual camouflage application in the form of self- adhesive tape, sheet or surface
- Adaptive Mobile Camouflage System: Dynamic protection against latest NIR, MWIR Thermal & Radar Sensors
SASMT Coatings: Shield Against Auto Guided Weapons
Several types of missiles, including cruise types, are equipped with infrared homing seekers and tracking devices. Passive homing missiles rely on strong contrast changes to track. Anti-thermal coatings can render them unable to ‘lock on’. HSTPL has developed a unique and unmatched technology of Adaptive / Self Balancing anti-thermal coatings for wide use to protect strategic infrastructures from missile threats, enemy weapon systems, effectively, affordably and reliably.